Thursday 12 April 2012

Gardening Will Take A Back Seat While The Building Occurs.

Before

So on Tuesday the rebuilding of our garage started. Before this occurred their was a load of plants to remove and some to tear down. The yellow forsythia shrub that you see above, that provides a burst of spring time colour, had to be removed :-(. Shame but simply too big to move! I think I will replant once done as it really does arrive on the scene with a burst of much wanted colour! We also had to remove a clematis that had taken over the far wall of the garage. That completely filled our recycling bins, not that this matters as Ealing Council seem to no longer collect them, so there have been many trips to the recycling centre over the past week.

Also moved were a holly tree, that I hope never to have to move again. That was a brutal experience due to the sharp nature of holly leaves! I was covered in scratches for days! Also transplanted some ivy that should be fine, although I think the holly hocks that I moved might not survive! Shame, but not sure they take to replanting? Lets find out!

Now the building has started, other than routine maintenance, it will be hard to get motivated to start any big projects. One large one on the go is probably enough, and every day I come home there is something else taking up some space in the garden! I did manage to save all my hedge cuttings, although I have had to move them to a safer spot after they were surrounded by uplifted paving stones! They looked rather precariously balanced and I didn't want a years work crushed!

After day 1, something seems to be missing! The builders really wasted no time in removing the garage.

Day 1

After day 2, the concrete slab has been removed and the new garage layout has been marked. You can see in the background that the garden is being used as a storage unit at the moment! I will try to mow around all the additional garden 'sculpture' this weekend, but that will probably be the limit of activity! Actually I desperately need to weed the front lawn (fun, fun, fun!!) so will also do that! Should really do the edges as well where I can.

Day 2

Actually I should also try and take some photos of the new spring growth. After the daffodils have come and gone, and the tulips are almost on their last legs, all of the usual suspects are emerging from their winter hibernation. The garden is going ballistic, but until the garage has been finished, it'll be a little harder to enjoy it!

Cheers

m

No comments:

Post a Comment