Tuesday 22 November 2011

The Cost Of Petrol And Diesel - Who Gets What?


The above diagram which was from a BBC news article shows the breakdown of the cost of a litre of petrol and the cost of a litre of diesel, in the UK, during October 2011.

Looking at Diesel, as it's what I use, the total average cost is 138.4p/litre. Of this there is 58p duty and 23.1p VAT, so a total of 81.1p goes to the government. that equates to 58.6% ending up in government coffers. This is a pretty nice little earner for the government!

That being said I can see how it's really not enough and I think, come the new year, they really should increase the duty by another 3 pence per litre. I think that at all costs the Government should be getting at least 60% of the cost of a litre of diesel and petrol. Really how else will we ever recover from the banking fiasco of 2008. I think everyone should have to pay for this as everyone is responsible for it...... oh hang on no that might not be right.

Cheers

m

4 comments:

  1. I complain about the price of fuel here, but the price you pay is really insane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One US Gallon = 3.785 Litres = £5.24 per US Gallon = $8.19 a gallon in USD. Crazy! It costs a bomb to drive in the UK!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel bad for complaining about paying $3.10 a gallon USD.

    ReplyDelete