Friday 22 April 2011

Plotting An Early Morning Escape! The Poppies Break Free!

Plotting An Early Morning Escape

Took this photo this morning and for some reason it has me in stitches. All I can think of is the poppy is desperately trying to break free and unleash itself in the morning sun. Our first one has come out and is huge. On one of the morning's this week on stepping outside the front door I was greeted with this pleasant site

The First Poppies Are Out

When they do break free it happens so quickly! They are such bizzare flowers as well. For some reason they remind me of a cross between the Alien eggs in the movie Alien and the blood eating plants in the Little Shop Of Horrors! Below are examples of both of these. Tell me you don't see the resemblance! Firstly the eggs from Alien




and now the blood eating plants in Little Shop Of Horrors



Hmmm as I finish writing this I am wondering if I should actually venture near these plants any more!! ;-) Well I think if the bees can handle them then I can probably get away with walking past them without being attacked and my body becoming an incubator for an acid blooded nasty. Below is a picture I took last year of a Bumble Bee absolutely drunk on poppy pollen. Have not had a repeat performance yet but I will keep on the look out. This little blighter below was crawling about in a frenzy in the poppy having a merry old time

A Bumble Bee Drunk On Poppy Nectar

Hope I haven't put you off your poppies. As far as I am aware there have not been any incidents recently of poppies mutilating humans. Could be wrong and maybe the government is covering it up? Who knows? I will keep an eye out for the Gardeners' World or Country File expose on this sometime later in the year. Until then don't say I didn't warn you!!!

Have fun

Cheers

m






No comments:

Post a Comment